Thursday, November 02, 2006

Well, things are sure hopping in Oklahoma, especially in the Panhandle. They have a new company moving in that will bring about 3,500 jobs to the area around Hooker. Now that's big considering the town only has approximately 1,700 people! But believe it of not, not everyone is thrilled about it. Some people in the small town don't want it, although most do. Coming from a small town, I can understand not wanting your town to grow very much (I happen to like my small town and want it to stay fairly small at least until my kids are grown because there's a lot fewer concerns in a small town like crime but I would hate to see my town dry up.) but walking downtown Hooker, it's clear the town is drying up. Many businesses have closed or left town. It's really kinda sad but there's hope. With the Smithfield Beef Group building a beef processing plant a few miles outside of town, this small town should start to see a lot of growth and that means other new businesses, more people, and the ability for those who grow up in Hooker to actually have the opportunity to stay there and raise their families close to home. I would think that would be the most important aspect of this new business. Hopefully, the people who don't want it will come around and see that it will benefit Hooker and maybe even them.

I love small towns. Where everyone knows everyone and looks out for each other. If you've never lived in a small town, you might not understand how good it feels to know that even if I can't watch my kids every move, there's probably someone else who will see and let me know. Boy, does that just irritate my son to no end but I think it's great!

Keep watching the show and let me know what you think.
Alisa

No comments:

Post a Comment