Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Oklahoma's Centennial kick-off begins this month, November 9th through the 19th, in Tulsa but in really kinda started last Thanksgiving at the Macy's Thanksgiving parade where Oklahoma had our very own float. You can see what all the hoopla is about this week coming up on Oklahoma Horizon. Rob McClendon takes us to New York to see the float and what a float it was. It represented many aspects of Oklahoma and all Oklahomans should be proud. I know I am.

I hope each of you has as much pride in our state as I do. There was a time when I didn't live here (a very short time) and I missed it tremendously. When someone asked my why I would want to return to Oklahoma, I replied that it was the perfect place to raise my children. Lots of open spaces, clean air, and low crime rate. The people are warm and friendly and truly care about each other. You can't say that in a lot of places but in Oklahoma that is a true fact. We know how to help our neighbors even before they ask and in a time where people tend to ignore each other and say "that's not my problem," Oklahomans are different. We pitch in and let our neighbors know that your problem is my problem and I'll be there for you in a pinch. Life is at a slower pace, too, and that's just fine by me. There's something to be said for taking a step back, breathing in a clean breath of air, and watching the sun set instead of hurrying everywhere you go and not even noticing what's going on around you. You miss things that way.

So this month as our one hundred year birthday approaches, take the time to smell the autumn air, watch a sun set (or rise through the fog), and remember, we're all in this together. Help your neighbor when you can and let them help you when they can and attend one of the many, many festivals near you coming up over the next several months and help us celebrate one hundred years with this warm, friendly state. Happy Birthday, Oklahoma!

Alisa

No comments:

Post a Comment