Wednesday, October 24, 2012

On the Horizon: Water Wars

Growing up in Washington State, water supply was never an issue. I lived thirty miles from the Columbia River, which supplies much of the state with drinking, irrigation and other water needs. My community is known as one of the most agriculturally productive areas in the world because of irrigation. Without water, it would be a dry desert where the only crop would be sage brush. When I moved to Oklahoma, I was curious to learn about the long-term battle caused by water. I had always assumed that Oklahoma did not really have any water, except on the few occasions when it rained. I was shocked to learn that the water in southeastern Oklahoma could supply the entire state and then some. One of the bodies of water in this battle is the Blue River. It trickles quietly through Johnston County and supplies the city of Durant with much of their water. In today’s video blog, we take a look at two groups that have come together to preserve and promote water quality and conservation. Their hope is to have water for future generations. Andy Barth

No comments:

Post a Comment